SOBHD Voluntary Code of Ethics
In this Code “Participants” shall mean dancers, teachers, judges, parents,
competition officials and
- Participants will display honesty, fairness and equality of
opportunity in all relationships.
- Participants will not engage in behavior which undermines the
status and esteem of Highland Dancing.
- Participants will maintain a high standard of personal behavior
with respect to dress, punctuality, preparation and contact
with other participants.
- Participants will recognize the authority of judges and other
officials and treat them with courtesy.
- Participants will treat all other participants with respect,
whether successful in competition or not.
- Participants will not discriminate between other participants
on the grounds of sex, ethnic background, religion or ability.
- Dancers will not be exposed to adverse public criticism.
- Participants should respect the competence of teachers and
judges and should not engage in public criticism.
WELL BEING OF DANCERS
- Participants will seek to ensure the well-being of the dancer
at all times.
- In particular, teachers will provide planned programs of
preparation and competition of all dancers. Their implementation
will recognize the safety and well-being of the dancers and
participants will recognize that the health of the dancer is
always more important than the competition results.
- Dancers should be encouraged to treat other dancers with respect,
whether successful in competition or not and to honor the rules
of the competition.
- Teachers will recognize a duty of confidentiality in their
relationships with dancers.
- Teachers will not compromise dancers by advocating an unfair
advantage or by seeking to persuade them to change teachers.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERTISE
- Teachers/Judges will maintain their qualifications and expertise
and will not seek to fulfill a role for which they do not have
qualifications or expertise.
Extracted from postings to highland-dance, the highland and scottish step
dance mailing list.
Return to the Grand Chain Scottish Dance Resource pages.
Except where otherwise indicated, all content on this site (including text, images, dance descriptions and any
other original work) is licensed under a
Creative Commons License.
This page is maintained by Ian Brockbank